Top 5 Dumpster Rental Tips for First-Time Renters
Follow These Tips to Simplify Your Waste Removal
A dumpster rental is a great way to simplify waste removal, but if you’re a first-time renter you probably have a few questions about the process. Use these five dumpster rental tips to make the smartest choices for your waste removal situation.
#1: Find the Right Type of Service
There are two different types of dumpster services: temporary and permanent.
Choose Temporary Dumpster Service if:
- You’re planning a one-time project like a home renovation or a big event.
Choose Permanent Dumpster Service if:
- You need ongoing trash collection for your business or organization.
For renters looking for permanent service , you’ll also have to determine the right trash collection schedule for your needs. Depending on the size of your business and how much trash you typically produce, choose:
- Weekly collection if you’re a large business and/or fill up your dumpster quickly.
- Bi-weekly collection if you’re a mid-size business and/or fill your dumpster less quickly.
- Monthly collection if you’re a small business and/or produce little waste.
#2: Choose the Right Size for the Job
Whatever type of service you need, there will be several dumpster sizes to choose from. To make the right call, ask yourself these questions:
- For temporary customers: How large is your project? Are you cleaning out/remodeling your whole house or just a few areas?
- For permanent customers: How large is your business? Do you produce more waste than the average business your size?
Now, with a little research into available temporary dumpster sizes or permanent dumpster sizes you’ll have a good idea of the right fit. When in doubt, give us a call at 844-444-DUMP for advice from our knowledgeable service team.
#3: Track Down a Trustworthy Company
When researching various options look for these signs of a trustworthy company:
- They quickly answer your calls.
- They thoroughly answer your questions.
- You can easily understand their pricing.
- They clearly explain their rental terms.
#4: Clear Enough Space for Your Dumpster
Use these tips to make room for your roll off dumpster:
- For temporary customers: clear a space about 20 feet long by 10 feet wide.
- For permanent customers: clear a space about 6 feet long by 6 feet wide.
- Ensure at least 50 feet of space (this can include your cleared area) for the delivery truck.
- Ensure at least 14 feet of vertical clearance, free of any tree limbs or power lines.
#5: Fill Your Dumpster the Smart Way
These tips will help you get the most use out of your dumpster:
- Fill your dumpster evenly as you work.
- Avoid allowing items to stick up over the top or hang over the sides.
- Use the front-loading door to carry large or heavy items in.
It’s also important to avoid any items that are prohibited in a roll off dumpster. These include:
- Food waste.
- Flammable materials like gasoline and other fuels.
- Medical waste like bandages, syringes or medications.
- Items containing toxic or hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or refrigerant.
These materials are prohibited because they can be harmful to both the environment and human health, and require special disposal. If these materials are found in your dumpster, you’ll likely be charged a contamination fee. Contact Dumpsters.com for more details on prohibited items.